What is underwater hockey?
Underwater hockey (UWH) is a great team sport for people of all ages, shapes and sizes. Played on the bottom of the pool (generally 2m deep) between two teams, the aim is to score a goal by pushing a lead puck with a small bat.
The game is physically challenging, but be warned, it is highly addictive!
What equipment do you need?
There are a few thing you need before you can play a game of underwater hockey, and here they are:
- a stick: the only thing you are allowed to touch the puck with
- a glove: to protect your fist
- fins: to make you swim faster
- a mask: so you can see underwater
- a cap: to protect your ears
- a snorkel: so you can breathe easily on the surface
- bathers: for a bit of discretion
- a puck: so you can play uwh!
- the goals: so you can score!
Ready to get started?
Each and every one of our clubs welcomes new players with open arms. So if you want to give it a shot for the first time or have played before and want to get back involved, simply contact your local club (Perth, Bunbury, Collie, Margaret River or Busselton) to find out when and where.
All you need is BATHERS + MASK + SNORKEL + FINS and we can lend you the rest for a short period of time.
Costs involved vary from club to club but generally include nightly pool entry and contribution to pool hire and an annual membership to the Australian Underwater Federation.
We'll see you pool side soon!